the Second Polish Republic, the Silesian Voivodeship held a special
position. It was the only autonomous voivodeship in the polish state.
The constitutional act of 15th July 1920 (Dziennik Ustaw
Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej No. 73, poz. 497) granted autonomy to the
Silesian Voivodeship, it provided for the establishment of a separate
legislative body (Silesian Sejm) for the Silesian Voivodeship.
Consequently, depending on the subject matter, the legislative
competences belonged either to the regular polish Parliament or to the
Silesian Sejm. Moreover, the act of 15th July 1920 determined the
adoption of the previous legal system into the body of law of the
Unlike the other voivodships, which were formed from the former territories of a single partitioning power, the Silesian Voivodeship unit consisted of former Prussian and Austrian territories. This circumstance could have presented the voivodeship of Silesia with particular difficulties of legal fragmentation. For in addition to the new Polish legal acts, Prussian law applied in some parts of the Silesian Voivodeship, and Austrian law in other parts. The organisation of the authorities was also inconsistent due to this particularism. During the inter-war period, a gradual unification of the law began.
The organizers of this conference would like to explore the origins and development of the Silesian Voivodeship from a legal-historical perspective in the broadest sense.
23. March 2023 - 13.30
- Begrüßung/Einführung (Martin Löhnig)
- Autonomie der Woiwodschaft Schlesien und andere Projekte der Regionalautonomien in Polen 1918-1939
- Polish legal thought in relation to the Silesian autonomy in the Second Polish Republic (Adam Krychowski)
- Between Cieszyn and Bielsko. Polish Cieszyn Silesians and the Silesian autonomy (Krzystof Nowak)
- The Autonomous Silesian Voivodship and its Legacy
24. March 2023 - 09.00
- Silesian Jurisdiction after Versailles (Donata Zehner)
- Courts and courts procedure in Silesian voivodeship and proceedings before the Polish Supreme Court
- Die Anwendung des Deutsch-Polnischen Abkommens über Oberschlesien 1922-1937 (Konrad Graczyk)
- Schlusswort (Kamila Staudigl-Ciechowicz)
Source: The Silesian Voivodeship: An analysis of a 'legal interspace'.
In: H-Soz-Kult, 05.01.2023, <www.hsozkult.de/event/id/event-132812>.